A few thoughts came to mind about listening to sermons as I listened to one this morning. I initially shared them on Twitter but thought I’d put them all together in one blog post here:
- Prepare your heart before the service, even before Sunday, to receive what God has prepared for you.
- Put as much responsibility on yourself to receive truth as you do on the preacher to convey truth.
- Turn to as many Scripture references mentioned in the sermon as possible.
- Take notes. My pastor always reminded us that 3/5 of think is “ink”.
- Remember R.A. Torrey’s principle that any time the Bible is opened & read then something can be gained
- If you walk away from a sermon with nothing, don’t let your first thought be to blame the preacher.
- If you don’t like your preacher, don’t grumble, pray. Let God change him/move him on, not you.
- Preachers will be harsher critics of themselves than anyone else.Encouragement is better than complaint
A thought for preachers (1): Preachers,we have an awesome privilege & responsibility. Never take it for granted & always try to improve.